God's Punchline

Friday, June 02, 2006

The Tin-man

Prologue:

If you listen for the lower decibels of lighting a cigarette, you'll probably hear the tobacco crack under the orange embers. There I stood, under the half-ellipse entrance to the mosque. I took my first swig of smoke and felt my lungs choke as the rain poured outside, 3 inches in front of me.

The smoke is eating through my lungs. I can't help but fall onto my knees and cough out blood. Watching the rain wash your blood away is like seeing a second chance. With that in mind, I pull my trench coat tighter around me and take another puff.

My name is Bob Hefner. I have 10 minutes left to live and I'm going to spend it telling you my story. At any point, feel free to punctuate this dark and dreary tale by ripping out the pages and throwing them into a furnace.

Here we go.......

My life began the day my doctor told me that I had 48 hours left to live. A chronic lung disease caused due to smoking. I think the moment was intensified when I asked him how much time I had left and he consulted his wall clock. You’d think I had something to say about that. Well, my mind was never blanker. I can’t exactly remember how I reached home. I do remember sleeping though. YES, I had 48 hours to live and I decided to catch some shut-eye, just to warm-up.

I woke a different man. I had a resolution. I wouldn’t waste what little time I had left ……which was 36 hours to be exact. I set about to make a plan.

I would rectify all my wrongs! But, looking at the time constraints, that was an ambitious goal to hit. So I settled finally on 2 things:

One, make my ex-wife’s life a living hell. Give her a preview of whats going to come.
Two, Steal from the rich and throw a party! A Robin Hood of sorts.

So with my salvation in hand and a resolution to quit smoking, I donned my trench coat and cowboy hat. I looked at my house one last time and trudged down the muddy streets with my black boots. The night had another 3 hours before dawn cracked down on it. The rain blurred my vision. I needed help on this one and I knew exactly where to find it.

The funny thing about lightning is that it expands the moment. What I see in my minds eye is the lightning illuminated the smile that cracked my lips …and the bank that I was about to rob. I think its appropriate that, knowing I had only 35 hours left is what made me an insomniac.

12 Comments:

At 10:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

God's Punch line....

All the way from Constatine. Eh!

 
At 10:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depressing but at the same time very gripping. A candid attempt by someone whose 'mind was never blanker'.

 
At 11:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe......

Theres a compliment and a diss in the same line. Its got a more engaging story line. Will be re-written with all five chapters.

 
At 12:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatever dude !

good work but a little too artificial!

keep it up!

 
At 3:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm....do u plan to quit now?...neways lets c hw the story unravels

 
At 3:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm....do u plan to quit now?...neways lets c hw the story unravels

 
At 4:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it is certainly gripping, i am eager to find out what happens next for the man who has just another 35 hours left :)

 
At 4:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liked the way an idea has been expressed, with minimum of words yet it has the right amount of punch. It is a somber narrative, some lines are hard hitting like when the doctor looked at his clock...it gives a good insight into the mind of a dying man...i'm curious to find out why he wants to make his ex-wife's life hell...

 
At 5:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

well written, but too less.. the suspense is so much, it breaks.. but one thing is for sure, there is no greater joy than knowing that this is a result of a greater decision.. i hope so.. keep blogging!! looking forward to read more..

 
At 1:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

let the rest come a little sooner, dude !!

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

sin city, constantine and a bit of morbidity thrown in....makes a pretty good mix dont u think? :P

 
At 1:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its nice,,, can you complete it or tell me where to get the rest from?????

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home